Friday, April 24, 2009

What I learned this week


Jo-Lynne at Musing of a Housewife hosts a blog carnival called "What I Learned This Week." I am joining in this week a little late. :)

Soooo...What have I learned this week?


  1. I should not attempt to kick a soccer ball. Ever again.

  2. It is really hard to sit all day long.

  3. It does, however, make it easier knowing that I have three kids who will willingly pitch in to help in a variety of ways.

  4. It also helps knowing that I'm off the hook for dinner preparation for at least a couple of nights. (And you can't beat having a dishwasher installed on the very day I learned #1, after washing dishes by hand for 9 months!)

  5. I can get my husband Jason Slade to make tea for me, and with only minimal joking about “dirty leaf water.”
  6. If I am being forced to sit with my leg elevated, I can and will balance the checkbook the day that the bank statement comes in the mail. (That’s the first time in many, many years.)
  7. Mad Libs will keep 6 and 11 year olds occupied for hours at a time.

  8. A 6 year old boy will quickly learn everything from nouns to adverbs while playing Mad Libs.

  9. Therefore, Mad Libs can be counted as school time.

  10. If you need a body part while playing Mad Libs, “bellybutton” is consistently the funniest one you can pick.

  11. If you need a noun while playing Mad Libs, “cat” is consistently the funniest one you can pick, according to 6 and 11 year old boys.

  12. I, however, am partial to using the word “platypus.”

  13. My 6 year old did not know what a platypus looks like. He does now.

  14. The platypus and the echidna are the only two mammals that lay eggs.

  15. I already knew this fact about the platypus; I didn't think I'd ever heard of an echidna until I read its nickname, the spiny anteater.

  16. I will read aloud about animals from encyclopedias when I am bored sitting with my leg propped up.

  17. Both the platypus and the echinida are from Australia.

  18. I can read approximately 324 books to Grace in a day if I am sitting with my leg propped up. Or maybe it just feels like that…

  19. My 11 year old will still hang around to listen to me read aloud children’s books.

  20. My 6 year old can stay outside all. day. long.

Head on over to Musings of a Housewife to see what others have learned this week!

~~~~~

Since I have heard from a few people who were concerned about my injury, I wanted to assure everyone that I am doing better. I’m getting around much easier and, no, I didn't break any bones. It’s a muscle injury, and Jason Slade has some experience/training with sports injuries…although I hesitate to refer to this as a sports injury since I got hurt before I actually made contact with the ball…how pathetic is that? Anyway, he has been keeping tabs on the location of my injury as well as my improvement. So, I'm OK...really! :)

2 comments:

Dannielle said...

I don't think I have laughed as much thru this blog tonight. The funniest thing to me is that Eric and I just discussed Platypus/Echidna laying eggs and all the rest just this week. Bizarre. (Please don't ask how we got on that subject... all I can say is that unemployment + stay at home mom = some very interesting dialog).

Anonymous said...

This was so funny! My 10 & 11 yr old still love to hear me read alound to the little ones. We did it just tonight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...