Saturday, June 23, 2012

Shortening Swimsuit Straps


I'm rather long-waisted; therefore, I almost always find a swimsuit that fits me in the torso but has droopy straps.  My solution?  Shorten the straps with a simple stitch.

This is the finished product:


Using a running stitch (also called straight stitch) with two strands of thread like this,


sew through the strap that needs to be shortened (I only did the front straps on each side). 



Sew a running stitch on both the right and left sides of one strap with two strands of thread, like these Photoshopped stitches in yellow (since black on black wouldn't show up very well):



As I sewed along the right and left sides, I left a length of thread to work with (about 3 inches long) on each side.  Repeat the process on the other strap you want to shorten, and be sure to compare the lengths you have sewn before tightening either one.

When you have sewn the length of strap that you think will work, tighten the two lengths of thread like you would a drawstring and make a knot in each length of thread (this is where using two strands of thread for the running stitch comes in very handy).

Side view of the strap

With that, you are finished, and your work adds a small decorative touch to your swimsuit. 


This was a cheap, quick, and easy solution to an annoying problem, and that works for me!   (It's also very easy to undo if you need to change how you sewed the straps or if you don't like the results.)


Click over to We Are THAT Family for more Works For Me Wednesday ideas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Cutting and re-stitching is so final o-o and doesn't always look great if you're not the best sewer. This is quick, easy, and a cute embellishmet :)

Michelle said...

This didn't work well for me on a wide strap with seams. :( I tried doing 3 lines of stitching but the side seams don't bunch up right (and sewing on the seams made the thread catch). Great idea though, I love how it looks on yours.

Michelle said...

I commented too soon! I just gathered the edges of the wide straps by hand and poked the needle through all of them, then back through to where I started and tied it off. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I
may come back once again since i have book marked
it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and
continue to help other people.

Also visit my web site - GHD Hair Straightener

Anonymous said...

Just what I was looking for! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...