Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Flashback: St. Simons Island

Since it's summer and we have no vacation in sight (we typically go off-season), I thought I'd reminisce about the trip to St. Simons Island we took last July with my dad and stepmom.

We stayed at Epworth By the Sea

My dad and Miss Kathleen while we were all waiting for the dolphin tour to begin...



Our family climbed to the top of the St. Simons lighthouse with my dad.  




The view from the top of the lighthouse

Incidentally, the pier in the above photo was where we found the old pelican that is dubbed "the most photographed thing on St. Simons Island."  

These were my "hold my camera over my head to get the shot and pray I don't drop it" photos.  :)



A slight peek into the lantern room




Just beyond the lighthouse, this was as close as you could get to the water without falling in...which almost happened, according to my dad.  The stairs at the very bottom were, of course, slippery.












We almost got Robert to smile for a photo.  Almost.

Robert (15), Grace (6) and Josiah (10) in July 2012

At least he smiled ever-so-slightly for Miss Kathleen's photo.  :)



We ventured into the downtown area...

Grace the bookworm found a reading nook

Each evening, we visited Bono, who was staying at a local kennel...

The kids kinda missed Bono!


and stopped to see Christ Church, too.  Here's a tip:  don't go at dusk if you hope to get any good photos.  ;)  This was my best shot, looking at an entrance to the property.  


Once we got on the property, the trees and Spanish moss made the photos dark, which worked well enough for a silhouette.



Here's my dad with the only non-Hawaiian shirt I've seen him in in a while.  The t-shirt says, "Just be happy I'm not your kid"...



because, as he says, "then you'd be older than dirt."




Click on the links in this post to see more photos, like ones about the beachour trip in general, quirky things (including something about a velociraptor), and Spanish moss...lots of Spanish moss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun set of memories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...