Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What I Learned This Week: My husband told me I had to write this post


Seriously, my husband told me I had to write this post and share this knowledge. This isn't something that I learned this week but it is great information to have. And I guess that, technically, I could say that I learned (from Jason) that it was my civic duty to tell you this.

How can I argue with that?

Do you have people calling you from various charities asking for contributions or pledges? Do you have a hard time saying "no" but can't actually donate anything, or have agreed with your spouse "These are the charities we will contribute to this year/month"? We don't have caller id...which is probably why we feel like we are the only ones taking these calls. But in case I'm wrong and we aren't the only ones without caller id, here's my (so far) fool-proof way to get off their calling list without all the added guilt they throw your way via their scripts.
  1. Tell the person on the other end of the phone line that you believe this is a fine organization/a good cause/a worthwhile program...whatever is appropriate. (It helps if you actually mean this. I'm not encouraging you to lie!)
  2. Immediately tell the caller that you really cannot contribute anything at this time. Mention your budget if you would like. (Again, it helps if you actually mean it. They can't argue with your budget.)
  3. This is key: Immediately follow up with "And I need to be taken off your calling list." This is crucial, or else you will be reciting the first two steps every month or so while they check back to see if your resolve has weakened situation has changed.
Nine times out of ten, this ends the call! If it does not and the caller refers back to their script, repeat steps 2 and 3 in one breath. If they still persist (this has only happened to me only once), repeat steps 2 and 3 and then follow up with "and I need to hang up the phone now." You can do this sooner if that makes you happy, but sometimes the caller keeps you on the line to verify that your phone number has been removed from the system.

Remember throughout the entire dialogue to be kind to the caller. This is their job, and they may not like making the calls much more than you like receiving them, but it is their job. It's not personal, and you have better things to do than get in a huff over this.

Maybe next week I'll tell you about how I make telemarketers hang up on me. Oh, wait, I already did that...

What have you learned this week?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Great tips. We have done that as well. I really do hate the donations one, they make you feel guilty. Nonetheless we have asked to be taken off the list, and it does work most of the time.
I finally got sick of dealing with those calls and just got rid of our home phone all together a few months back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...