Saturday, January 8, 2011

Overheard: Grace

Grace [bursting with excitement]: Josiah, you are the BEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

Why? Besides the obvious answer of "because she adores her older brother," that is...

Because he brought her this beautiful red flower today:

The skirt Grace (4) is wearing as a dress is one that was mine when I was little. I used it for dress-up, and also put it on my head and pretended that I had really long hair. Yep. And my father pretended that he was going to tie one end of it closed and use it to catch the rabbits that came into our yard so we could keep one as a pet. I believed him. Did I mention I was, um, about five at the time? And between the ages of 3 and 9, I had really, really short hair.

~~~~~

Grace is a list maker. She loves making "lists" of things she's going to do, or grocery lists for me, or any other thing you could make a list for, and sometimes the lines of paper are filled with rotating colors of scribbles on each line. One day recently, she sat on the bed next to me with pen and paper in hand.

Grace: OK, Mommy. What do you want for Christmas?

Me: Obedient children.

That's what I always say when my children ask me this question.

Grace: [loudly sighs] I can't give you children, 'cause I don't have any children. I meant, what do you want me to give you for Christmas? [she pauses, and laughs to herself] It can't be children or I'll just give you a baby doll!

And she loves her baby dolls...


~~~~~

I thought about my children's reaction to the way I answer their "What do you want for Christmas?" question, and think their reactions are rather telling.

Robert (13) always answers, "No, really."
(Mr. Practical.)

Two years ago, Josiah (6 at the time) offered to wrap Grace. His exact words were, "Hey, Grace! We need to wrap you up! Mom says she wants an obedient child for Christmas!"

And Grace thinks in terms of more babies...her babies.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

First of all, I love your pictures. Is Grace really asleep in that second one? Is that how she typically falls asleep? So sweet?

And what a sweetie; she just adores her brother. I love that you had that skirt as a child! What fun! Oh, and I had my parents tie a million strands of yarn on a headband so I could have long hair. Of course I chose my favorite color at the time - pink!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...